Digital Marketing is not an end, it is a means to achieve something more fruitful. Digital Marketing is not just one strategy, it encompasses an entire ecosystem. So, if you have to make the cut in the field of Digital Marketing, it is imperative that you are familiar with all its aspects. The success of the client is the best measure of the efficacy of a Digital Marketing campaign, and this can only be achieved if you know Digital Marketing in its entirety.
In this article, we are discussing the six most important types of Digital Marketing that are a must-know for online marketers. In this article, we will know the most important aspects of Digital Marketing, its implementation and the success mantra behind it. So, read on.
Download IMS Proschool’s Digital Marketing Brochure
1. Social Media Marketing
- What is it?
While the common definition of Social Media Marketing states it is a process of promoting your content on various social media channels and gaining traffic, veteran Digital Marketer, Neil Patel adds a twist to it. He says Social Media Marketing is the process of creating customized content suited to individual social media platforms to enhance engagement and sharing. The true meaning of Social Media marketing is to create quality content which is in sync with the mood of the social media platform. Something that is worthy of Facebook may not be right for Linkedin. Similarly, if it is great visual content, it is best suited to Instagram stories.
“Design your own bucket” was a social media campaign by KFC which saw more than 5000 entries. The participants came up with creative, quirky and colorful ideas for the KFC bucket. Due to its consistent efforts, KFC ranked among the five fastest-growing social media brands in India.
- Success mantra
- Identify SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Timely) goals
- Research well on your audience and understand where you are likely to find them
- Create content relevant to the audience and the particular social media platform
- Manage the Social Media campaigns with a single-minded focus.
Talk to a Social Media Marketing Expert
2. Content Marketing
Content Marketing is the process of delivering quality content in a strategic way to a specific audience as per based on their goals, needs, and preferences. The major intention surrounding this is the profitable action taken by the customer. Planning the content strategy, creating the content and distributing it to attract customers to convert and retain them is the core job of the Content Marketer.
Example: Hubspot creates great content through in-depth blog posts about the issues of the visitors. Adding content upgrades in the form of e-books, case studies, etc. Continuous update about educational content on their hub, Inbound.org and offering certification and partnership programs. Creating customized videos for Facebook and Linkedin to attract traffic.
- Identify and develop the product. In this case, the product is the Content.
- Inculcate great storytelling in the marketing process
- Price the product. In this case, it is an email newsletter, receiving blog updates, ebooks, online training courses, etc.
- Select the distribution network. In this case, it would be a social media platform, blogs, website, email list, webinar, etc.
- Design a promotion strategy. This would involve how you share a product.
3. Search Engine Optimisation
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is the art of ranking high on the Google search pages without paying for it. Being found through natural sources is also known as Organic Search. The process involves researching and analyzing the trends and identifying the best practices to develop and strategies and implement them to enhance the search results.
Example: An SEO consultancy firm did a project for a client providing complete office space solutions. The task was to improve ranking and leads of the website. The SEO firm created location pages to target GEO specific keywords, the website was promoted through Facebook and it also ran a Google Adwords campaign. As a result, the keyword ranking improved and there was an overall enhancement in overall traffic, organic traffic, and the lead generation.
- Keep the density of keyword high and use it smartly throughout the depth of content.
- SEO is not just about keywords, also focus on the Search intent
- Ensure that the website is mobile-friendly
- Check site speed and navigation ease
- Last but not least, create high-quality content that drives traffic.
4. Search Engine Marketing
Search Engine Marketing is a combination of SEO and Paid Advertising. As discussed, SEO is the act of gaining traffic through unpaid efforts, while Paid Advertising is buying the traffic by paying money for the search listings in various search engines like Google, Yahoo, Safari, and Bing. The paid advertisements include components such as PPC (Pay per Click) and SMM (Social Media Marketing). The benefits of SEM is mainly targeting the audience on the basis of languages and locations. This ensures an edge over the competitors and generates more RoI when compared to other modes of advertising.
Understanding the competitive landscape. You should be well aware of the movements of your competitors and their strategies.
Research about the company’s online reputation. If a basic Google search or Social Media search portrays a negative image or feedback, you first need to address that issue before opting for SEM. Or else, the results will be counterproductive.
Perform intensive keyword research through tools such as Google Adwords, SEMrush, etc. to know about the competition and average monthly search volumes.
5. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate Marketing is promoting someone’s product on a popular platform and if the viewer’s go and purchase the product, the website/blog or channel owner earns a commission on it. Earning a steady stream of income is possible only if the platform has a huge number of viewers. Affiliate Marketing works on a revenue-sharing model and is becoming quite popular as a source of passive income. It is also a win-win situation for the product creator as well as the affiliate marketer.
Example: Most of the bloggers and Digital Marketers talk about Keyword Research Tools, Ebooks, and Planners, etc. and promote these products. The product creator pays a commission to the affiliate marketer in lieu of any sale that happens.
PeerFly is the world’s largest affiliate marketing network. It has 75,000 active publisher accounts and more than 250,000 accounts which generate more than 1 billion clicks and close to 8 million transactions.
- Complete knowledge and belief in the product that is being promoted.
- Build a strong brand in your niche.
- Consider Influence marketing and relationship marketing.
- Be clear on the terms with the product/service creator
6. Email Marketing
Email Marketing is the process of using email to deliver a commercial message, i.e promoting a product or a service. Not just this, email marketing is being widely used to develop deeper relationships with customers (existing and potential). Email marketing is one of the most preferred forms of digital marketing today because it can be customized, it is cost-effective and has a good record of conversion rates.
Example: OneCoWork, personalized emails from their very first campaign. They segmented the audience based on the information they collect and personalize each email. They crafted the email content specifically for each of the potential customers and did a personalized follow up. As a result, they saw that personalized emails are getting click-through rates in the range of 50% to 80%.
- Create a targeted email list and know your audience well
- Craft a personalized message and include Call for action
- Understand the different types of emails
- Choose the correct time and occasion to deliver the message
- Think of a highly effective subject line
- Follow up on the emails in a non-aggressive way
Still have some questions un-answered?
Step-by-step Guide To Become An Seo Expert
Leave A Comment