As any generation will confirm, the world is constantly changing. New innovations and transformations are permanently altering the corporate and financial landscape.
As a chartered accountant, your profession has weathered many storms. Yet, it is still standing. The prestige of holding the CA hasn’t dimmed. It is still relevant in a world where many other occupations have become obsolete.
However, there are many advantages to pursuing higher studies after CA. Multi-conglomerates and global organizations have entered India while setting up more offices worldwide. Globalization is shrinking the planet yet creating new roles for accounting and financial professionals.
You now have several possibilities before you that your predecessors did not. An additional qualification to your resume can open new doors and opportunities. You can expand your profile to a global accountant or enter specialized fields such as business management or equity research. So, don’t get left behind in the past. Here below are some certifications that take your career blazing into the future.
5 courses after CA that enhance your resume
1. Financial Modelling
As one of the most important skills for an accountant today, financial modelling is a highly valued addition to many resumes. It is an MS Excel-based spreadsheet software to track and monitor a company’s financial performance. As a CA, you can build models for various purposes, such as a balance sheet or cash flow statement. It is also helpful if you want to branch out into other domains like investment banking, project finance or equity research. It is an easy-to-use method that makes your job easier while giving you the ability to make precise, well-informed decisions.
Advantages of financial modelling
- Helps you to be more efficient at research and analysis
- Enables you to derive insights based on historical data
- Financial models are also used to make predictions for the future
- Can be used to find solutions for company-based problems
- Is an essential tool for building strategies and making data-backed decisions
About the course:
- A financial modelling course is around 3 to 6 months
- You learn how to create financial statements using spreadsheets
- The syllabus includes core subjects such as FSA, corporate finance, types of models, M&A, etc.
- Financial modelling also helps with other functions such as minimising risk factors, listing company valuation, creating budgets and forecasting
- Any candidate over the age of 18 years can apply for the course
The Certified Financial Planner (CFP) is an internationally renowned qualification that offers an in-depth education in the field of personal finance and investment. You learn about topics such as taxation, risk management, financial planning and portfolio management. Doing this course will expand your professional horizons significantly. You will no longer be restricted to working in Indian accounting and auditing firms. You can dip your toes in other pools within the international finance industry. Your two qualifications will make you an asset in several Indian as well as global organisations. Banks, wealth management companies, credit rating firms, and insurance agencies are just a few options available to someone who does the CFP course after CA.
Advantages of the CFP certification
- Offers interesting opportunities to work in other sections of the finance and investment industry
- Sharpens your knowledge of subjects such as taxation and personal finance management
- Apart from India, the CFP Certification is recognized in over 26 countries, including Australia, Canada, Hong Kong and the United Kingdom
- Enables you to be eligible to apply for jobs in banks and financial services
About the course:
- The CFP curriculum contains the following three modules
- Investment planning
- Retirement and tax planning
- Risk management and estate planning
- At the end of each module, you sit for a computer-based exam that has 75 multiple-choice questions
- The final CFP exam occurs after you take all three module tests. It is based on case studies
- You need a minimum score of 50 percent in your 12th year, commerce students are preferred
- If you are a chartered accountant, you only need to sit for the AFP exam if you have three years of experience in the financial services
With a strong presence in over 179 countries, CIMA is one of the world’s best management accountancy programs. The course is designed to teach budding accountants essential skills in finance and business. A CIMA further enhances your existing CA qualification. It upgrades your knowledge and expertise to a global level. You are ready to apply to work in various specializations like treasury management, corporate finance, business analysis and financial reporting. You play a key role in shaping business decisions and forming strategies. Many students looking for higher studies after CA tend to apply for the CIMA program.
Advantages of the CIMA course
- Your chances of migration improve as your certification is valid around the world
- You can apply to MNCs and international finance firms within India
- The program enhances your management and business skills
- Creates new job opportunities that weren’t accessible before
- Increasing your earning capacity as you apply to larger, more well-paying companies
About the course:
- There are four levels in the CIMA program
- Certificate in accounting level
- Operational level
- Management level
- Strategic level
- Subjects include fundamentals of management accounting, financial reporting and taxation, project and relationship management and risk management
- The course is open to undergraduates and graduates with a commerce background
- CA professionals receive multiple exemptions from the CIMA board and only have to appear for one exam
- Business analytics
Big data has changed the way the business world operates. Business analytics are becoming a necessity when working with leading companies and MNCs. The course teaches you how to develop efficient strategies by cultivating insights gained from the analysis. As a CA, you can use this skill for a variety of functions, such as identifying risks, detecting frauds and financial reporting. You can also transform the auditing process by applying business analytics. The qualification gives you an edge over your peers and helps you take on a more active and strategic role with your clients.
Advantages of business analytics
- You can use predictive analytics to improve productivity and manage risks better
- You are able to provide a bigger-picture perspective for your clients
- More and more companies are looking to hire professionals with business analytics qualification
- Improves the quality of daily operations and streamlines your processes
About the course:
- It is a 3 to 4-month program
- The syllabus contains core concepts and knowledge such as statistics, machine learning and predictive analytics
- You learn several software systems such as R, SQL, Tableau and MS Excel
- You can apply for the course if you are over 18 years of age
The chartered financial analyst program is a highly illustrious credential within the global finance industry. You might want to consider applying if you would like to get into the investment services industry. The CFA extensively covers investment banking and portfolio management, making you an expert in this profession. If you are looking for a lucrative career opportunity, this is the right course after CA.
Advantages of CFA
- It is a globally recognized program that enjoys a high reputation in the industry
- The CFA societies are spread across the globe and provide exclusive resources and opportunities to all members
- It boosts your resume along with your CA certification, making you a coveted hire
- Can be helpful if planning to migrate, as it is accepted in over 165 countries
About the course:
- The program contains three levels and ten subjects
- Some of the topics include economics, quantitative methods, portfolio management, equity investments and ethics.
- You also learn the tools and techniques needed to be proficient in the field of investment services
- You can apply if you have four years of experience in finance
- All applicants must have a valid passport
How Proschool can help you gain an additional certification
If you are interested in any of the courses listed above, Proschool is the best support system to help you achieve your goal. Since its inception, over 10,000 students have become successful professionals in big companies such as Deloitte, Standard Chartered, Tech Mahindra and JP Morgan. The coaching institute has world-class teaching methods and a reputed faculty to ensure all students are well-prepared to take the exams. More than 100 experienced teachers have previously worked in their respective industries and are now imparting their knowledge to budding professionals. Proschool also offers extra resources such as practice papers, mock tests and placement assistance so you can reach your true potential within a short time. This is the perfect institute to join if you plan to pursue a course after CA.
- You can learn in a classroom or attend online classes in the comfort of your own home
- The unique active learning systems ensure students learn more efficiently
- You can also receive certifications from the NSDC after completing your program
- The school ensures the students are up-to-date on new corporate trends and industry developments
In today’s world, you need to stay on your toes and update your skills to stay ahead of the competition. As a chartered accountant, it is highly beneficial for you to add another certification to the list on your resume. It opens up new possibilities and increases your income while ensuring you stay relevant. Professionals who don’t upskill are always in danger of becoming obsolete. Don’t let that be you.