The accounting industry is one of the few ancient professions that has consistently evolved to flourish in the modern world. Even with the advent of digitization within the corporate landscape, this vocation contrives to thrive. There isn’t a business in existence that does not require the services of an efficient accounting department. As long as a society depends on money-centric transactions, accountants will always be in high demand.
If you are looking for a career that guarantees longevity and prosperity, this is it. However, your success as an accountant will depend on certain factors. Such as your aptitude to process numbers efficiently, a penchant for organisation and your ability to work under pressure. It will also rely on your skills and industry-related knowledge. You get a head start in your career if you come from a substantial educational background. There are quite a few management accounting courses after 12th commerce in India today. Many offer to give you the tools and training you need to excel at your job. Let’s take a closer look at some of them.
Introduction to accounting management
If you are sure that your future lies in accounting, here are a few courses that you can apply directly after 12th commerce:
- Bachelor’s/Master’s in Accounting and Finance (B.com/M.com)
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
- Chartered Accountancy (CA)
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- US Certified Public Accountant Course (US CPA)
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
If you can’t decide between business and finance, consider enrolling in the CIMA program. Many industry experts prefer this course as it contains a compressive syllabus that delves into finance, as well as business management. It is more than just an ordinary accounting course. It is a holistic approach that provides theoretical knowledge, along with real-time case study training. When certified as a CIMA accountant, you are considered a part of an elite community of professionals within the finance and accounting domain. Once you clear the course, you are ready to come a verified chartered global management accountant.
Why you should apply for the CIMA course
As the leading professional body of management accountants, the CIMA program is highly sought after by many students hoping for a big break in the industry. It is a certificate that has stood the test of time and has given many bright financial minds the foundation they need to launch a prosperous career.
So what makes CIMA so extraordinary? The institute was founded in 1919 to help capable accounting students bridge the gap between their education and careers. The course offers intensive training in business management. The curriculum is designed to create powerhouse professionals who can take on leading roles in several fields such as business analysis, corporate finance, financial reporting and treasury management. Wait, that’s not all. The CIMA has joined hands with the CPA institute to create the coveted CGMA designation. On the last count, there are more than 137,000 CGMA holders, making this one of the world’s most popular accountant management certifications.
Benefits of the CIMA qualification
- You can avail of the CGMA designation, which further enhances your resume
- You get access to over 4,500 organisations that have partnered with the CIMA institute
- There are over 180 countries that recognise the value of the CIMA course, leading to global job opportunities
- You get intensive training for leadership positions in management accounting
- Your salaries and bonuses are on the higher end than your peers. The average annual salary of a CIMA holder in India is around Rs 11 lakhs, whereas globally, it is Rs 21 lakhs
- Leading corporations prefer to hire CIMA professionals such as:
- Proctor & Gamble
- British Airways
- Deutsche Bank
- Ernst & Young
Details about the CIMA course
It doesn’t matter if you are a seasoned executive or a commerce student, this program is open to all:
- Post graduates
- Professional certificate holders
- Working accountants
There are four levels within the program that cover key topics across financial and management accounting.
|Certificate level||Operational level||Management level||Strategic level|
|Fundamentals of business economics||Organisational management||Project and relationship management||Strategic management|
|Fundamentals of management accounting||Management accounting||Advanced management accounting||Risk management|
|Fundamentals of financial accounting||Financial reporting and taxation||Advanced financial reporting||Financial strategy|
|Fundamentals of ethics, corporate governance and business law|
- The first level will have 4 objective-style exams
- At the end of the remaining three levels, you will sit for 3 objective exams and 1 case study test
- There are certain exemptions for students with degrees or certifications
- Objective-style exams occur on a daily basis and can be taken anytime
- The case study examination will take place four times a year
Get a world-class advantage with the GMA program
One of the leading professional institutes in India, IMS Proschool has created the Global Management Accountant (GMA) course for students to take their careers to greater heights. This specially curated program is one of the fastest routes to a CIMA certification for undergrad students and graduates. The GMA course enhances CGMA curriculum by adding relevant tools and business management skills. It is a future-forward program that makes you a competent hire by the time you graduate.
Here are some reasons why the GMA is one of the best professional courses after 12th commerce:
- You only have to write 3 case study exams as the GMA offers CGMA FLP (finance leadership program)
- This program can be a gateway to an MBA degree
- It equips you with the training you need to get an early boost into middle and upper management roles
- You receive two certifications — Proschool and NSDC — after completion
- You can qualify for CIMA within 1.5 to 2.5 years
- The course also teaches valuable skills such as finance modelling
- Experiential learning methods help students to apply their knowledge, not memorise the concepts
- The faculty consists of qualified teachers with several years of professional experience
- Dedicated placement team who helps students with mock interviews and resume writing
- The GMA course prepares you for several job profiles such as management accountant, business analyst, finance director and human resource manager
CIMA VS CMA
Many students are often confused between these two qualifications. Are they similar? Will one offer an advantage over the other? Here are some features of both courses that will clear your doubts.
|Stands for Certified Management Accountant||Stands for Chartered Institute of Management Accountant|
|It is a certified program in financial accounting and strategic management.||It is globally acknowledged as an accounting qualification in business and finance|
|Topic include: Financial planningDecision analysisInvestment decisionsBudgetingCost accountingProfessional ethicsForecasting||Topics include:Relationship managementManagement accountingStrategic managementFinancial strategyAdvanced financial reporting|
|To apply, you need a Bachelor’s degree from a recognised university||You can apply after the 12th year|
The CIMA program is one of the top career options after 12th commerce. It offers a well-designed curriculum and practical skills to get you ready for the real world. Once you acquire your managerial accounting certification, you are prepared to take on the finance and business industry with your proficiency and expertise.